innovation for industry
Articles ＆ files | Focus | Article
3D integration for power modules
3D integration and enhanced electrical performances for power systems
Today's advanced power modules are intended to unleash the full potential of wide-band gap semiconductor like GaN or SiC devices. They are designed to reduce and/or balance parasitic inductances and capacitances, and improve heat transfer, while optimizing both cost and reliability. This is achieved in various ways including size reduction, 3D integration, new joint materials and double side cooling.
3D and advanced technologies support energy transition across a wide range of applications:
• Mobility: automotive, transportation (train, drones, etc.), airborne systems and space
• Energy conversion: wind turbine, PV, storage
• Robotic & IT: UPS and data center, unmanned aerial vehicles, USB-C PD, exoskeletons for industrial applications
• EPE 2019: Integrated GaN ICs, development and performance
• CIPS 2018: Towards Wafer Level 3D Power Integration
• ESTC2016: Design of a GaN HEMT based Inverter Leg Power Module for Aeronautic Applications
CEA is a French government-funded technological research organisation in four main areas: low-carbon energies, defense and security, information technologies and health technologies. A prominent player in the European Research Area, it is involved in setting up collaborative projects with many partners around the world.